Nature's Mother Forum Index Nature's Mother
A place to explore natural pregnancy, birth & beyond
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Join! (free) Join! (free)
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Persistant thrush
Page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nature's Mother Forum Index -> Breastfeeding
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Please Register and Login to this forum to stop seeing this advertising.






Posted:     Post subject:

Back to top
Jolanky



Joined: 05 Jul 2009
Posts: 39


Location: Falmouth Cornwall

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: Persistant thrush  Reply with quote

I have been battling with thrush in my nipples for over six months now and wanted to see whether anyone had any hot tips that I haven't heard of.

I have tried anti fungal creams and pills, citricidal applied topically and taken orally, acidophilus, excluding sugar, yeast, cheese, caffeine, femented products, dried fruit and fruit juice from my diet and more recently I have been visiting a homeopath. I am also putting citricidal in my wash and washing hot where I can.

The thrush is managable at the moment but I just can't get rid of it. I want to try out a technique in the 'no cry sleep solution' to help with our sleeping problems (will if i'm honest the sleep problems aren't mine, I could sleep standing up at the moment) but I can't do this until my nipples are in a better state.

Any help will be much appreciated  Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
admin
Site Admin


Joined: 22 Jun 2009
Posts: 9


Location: Falmouth, Cornwall, UK

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shame, you've had it hard you poor thing!  Hope someone out there has some advice for you so you can start eating cake again soon! xxx
_________________
Sharon Mackay

www.naturesmother.co.uk - For natural pregnancy products

"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." Kahlil Gibran
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Jolanky



Joined: 05 Jul 2009
Posts: 39


Location: Falmouth Cornwall

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, you know how I like my cake!  Laughing
_________________
Mum to Isabel born on 4th April 08 at home
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Anne Thomas



Joined: 18 Jul 2009
Posts: 51


Location: Near Liskeard, Cornwall

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Jolanky

You say you have tried anti-fungal creams - does this include calendula or marigold?  This is an excellent anti-fungal and skin healing cream.  I also find taking it as a tea is great for getting rid of the thrush within the system - treating it topically really never gets rid of it properly.  I am not a herbalist - although I did start to train several years ago.  If you are breast-feeding then you would need to consider taking it internally as obviously it would get into your baby.  If you have marigold flowers growing in the garden, then you could simply make a tea from a few of the flowers and bathe the nipples.  Make sure it is calendula and not the tagetes varieties of margold.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
adeline



Joined: 19 Jul 2009
Posts: 18



PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there,
I know from experience that persistant thrush can be so demoralizing.
Have you had this diagnosed by your GP, as the course of oral tablets is usually very effective if things become dire, and if youv'e had no success with other treatments, it's worth making sure it isn't something else?
Are you breastfeeding at the moment and how old is little one? Is it just in the nipple that you have symptoms at present? I'm sure you are already aware that BOTH of you must be treated even if there are no apparent symptoms in baby.
Following an anti candida diet is a really good idea and you are doing everything right! Some people are just very vunerable to thrush.
Have you thought of trying colloidal silver spray, available from health stores? I have not used it myself but it has been recommended to me.
I hope it improves soon. Let me know how it's going.


Last edited by adeline on Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Jolanky



Joined: 05 Jul 2009
Posts: 39


Location: Falmouth Cornwall

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anne Thomas wrote:
Hello Jolanky

You say you have tried anti-fungal creams - does this include calendula or marigold?  This is an excellent anti-fungal and skin healing cream.  I also find taking it as a tea is great for getting rid of the thrush within the system - treating it topically really never gets rid of it properly.  I am not a herbalist - although I did start to train several years ago.  If you are breast-feeding then you would need to consider taking it internally as obviously it would get into your baby.  If you have marigold flowers growing in the garden, then you could simply make a tea from a few of the flowers and bathe the nipples.  Make sure it is calendula and not the tagetes varieties of margold.


Hi Anne,

I am currently using a cream with calendula in it along with some other anti fungal ingredients. It's a cream made by inlight so all natural products. I've not tried taking it as a tea. Can I buy this at a health food shop? If so do you know what it is exactly I should ask for? Thanks xx
_________________
Mum to Isabel born on 4th April 08 at home
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jolanky



Joined: 05 Jul 2009
Posts: 39


Location: Falmouth Cornwall

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adeline wrote:
Hello there,
I know from experience that persistant thrush can be so demoralizing.
Have you had this diagnosed by your GP, as the course of oral tablets is usually very effective. Are you breastfeeding at the moment and how old is little one? Is it just in the nipple that you have symptoms at present?I'm sure you are aware that BOTH of you must be treated even if there are no apparent symptoms in baby.
Following an anti candida diet is a really good idea and you are doing everything right! Some people are just very vunerable to thrush.
Have you thought of trying colloidal silver spray, available from health stores? I have not used it myself but it has been recommended to me.
I hope it improves soon. Let me know how it's going.


Hi Adeline,

Thanks for you post. My GP confirmed it was Thrush back in february and I have been back to her more times than I care to recall. I have had several courses of anti fungals the most recent being for about 6 weeks with the maximum loading dose and a 100mg dose daily. It kept it at bay but didn't clear it up. I stopped taking the tablets about 3 weeks ago now and it's still there but thankfully hasn't got any worse.

My daughter is 15 months and still feeds a lot. Especailly at night. I had been treating her but stopped fairly recently. Colloidal Silver is one of the few things I haven't tried. Thought I read about side effects? Do you know of any. It might have been die off effect?

Have actually been less strict with my diet recently and it doesn't seem to make a difference. Not sure what to do now as it's not horrible anymore just uncomfortable, not sure if I should just try and keep it at bay until I stop feeding but that could be a long way off............

xx
_________________
Mum to Isabel born on 4th April 08 at home
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
adeline



Joined: 19 Jul 2009
Posts: 18



PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That does seem strange..poor you. Is it worth having a second opinion from a different GP? They dont have a terribly good reputation with diagnosing breastfeeding issues, although yours may be very good. Are you sure she's not re infecting you? Has she been treated too? I know it's awful having to keep on taking things, especially when they're not 'natural', but sometimes you have to way up the pro's and cons. Is it just the nipple or deep ducts too?
As I said, I've never tried colloidal silver, but it's worth looking into possible effects and weighing up the pro's and con's. Do you have a good breastfeeding support group locally. Most children's centres have them and peer support Mums can be a wealth of knowledge?
I have an 18 month old who feeds a lot at night too. Sometimes we are both so busy in the day, we forget to 'tank up' and he makes up for it by night nursing when prolactin is most active in producing lots of milk fast. I also find that since I feed him lying down in bed at night, our 'latch' can be a bit sloppy and I sometimes end up getting a bit rubbed by toddler teeth. I notice I'm a bit sensitive in the day then. Could that be exasperating the soreness in your case do you think?
It's truely exhausting, especially with older children during the day, but at least it keeps my supply well stimulated!
_________________
Adeline

Nurturing Birth trained Doula
UNICEF approved
breastfeeding supporter
Doula UK member
wishingwellredruth.co.uk

Become the parent you want to be


Last edited by adeline on Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Anne Thomas



Joined: 18 Jul 2009
Posts: 51


Location: Near Liskeard, Cornwall

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jolanky

If you email me privately I can send you some dried to try.  Sometimes you will get it from a good health food shop - but not many now sell loose dried herbs.

You are likely to get some increase in symptoms as the calendula flushes out the thrush, and possibly looser bowels too as they are cleared.  But this should only last a day or two.  Marigold flowers used to be added to stews and have a slightly warming effect.

I used to have persistent thrush but have less of a problem with it now.  It took a little while to clear but regular use of calendula seemed to sort it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jolanky



Joined: 05 Jul 2009
Posts: 39


Location: Falmouth Cornwall

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adeline wrote:
That does seem strange..poor you. Is it worth having a second opinion from a different GP? They dont have a terribly good reputation with diagnosing breastfeeding issues, although yours may be very good. Are you sure she's not re infecting you? Has she been treated too? I know it's awful having to keep on taking things, especially when they're not 'natural', but sometimes you have to way up the pro's and cons. Is it just the nipple or deep ducts too?
As I said, I've never tried colloidal silver, but it's worth looking into possible effects and weighing up the pro's and con's. Do you have a good breastfeeding support group locally. Most children's centres have them and peer support Mums can be a wealth of knowledge?
I have an 18 month old who feeds a lot at night too. Sometimes we are both so busy in the day, we forget to 'tank up' and he makes up for it by night nursing when prolactin is most active in producing lots of milk fast. I also find that since I feed him lying down in bed at night, our 'latch' can be a bit sloppy and I sometimes end up getting a bit rubbed by toddler teeth. I notice I'm a bit sensitive in the day then. Could that be exasperating the soreness in your case do you think?
It's truely exhausting, especially with older children during the day, but at least it keeps my supply well stimulated!


Hi Adeline,

My GP is fairly good I would say, so I do trust her opinion. I have also been to my local breastfeeding support group and this is where the Thrush was first spotted. They have also taken a good look at my daughters latch on on more than one occasion and they seem to think it's very good. I do think that regular feeding is playing a part in stopping the Thrush from clearing up and when we have had a 'busy night' I certainly feel the difference the next day.

I stopped treating Isabel with prescribed drugs a while back because they weren't working. She has had thrush visable in her mouth in the past but now doesn't and this has been due to the citricidal I was using, I think? Maybe she is reinfecting me though. Do you think it would be possible for her to have symptoms sometimes but have symptomless thrush at others?


_________________
Mum to Isabel born on 4th April 08 at home
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nature's Mother Forum Index -> Breastfeeding All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Card File  Gallery  Forum Archive
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum
Untitled Document Click here to return to Nature's Mother website